A.R. Sanchez, Sr. Memorial Scholarship awarded to high school seniors
(June 16, 2017) SAN ANTONIO
- IBC Bank-San Antonio continues their support of higher education by awarding area students with the A.R. Sanchez, Sr. Memorial Scholarship as they venture into college and start a new chapter of their lives. Scholarships are granted to students who demonstrated a "Do More" attitude and leadership in student and community affairs throughout their years in high school.
An event was held at the IBC Bank-San Antonio downtown branch on June 15 where $11,000 was handed out to deserving students from nine high schools.
"Awarding the A.R. Sanchez, Sr. Memorial Scholarship is an important part of IBC's ‘We Do More' philosophy," said Mike Sohn, IBC Bank-San Antonio President and CEO. "The students receiving the scholarship are our future leaders and we are extremely honored to assist in the pursuit of their higher education goals."
Born into a humble family, Antonio R. Sanchez, Sr., the namesake of the scholarship award and the founder of IBC Bank, was a strong supporter of making higher education available to those interested in bettering lives. Sanchez's commitment to the power of learning lives on in the A.R. Sanchez Scholarship Award, which is bestowed annually upon deserving high school seniors in South Texas and Oklahoma.
"It gives me great joy to see the expression on the faces of the students as we hand them a check for $1,000, which they will use to defray the costs of going to college," said Sohn. "We love giving back to our community and know the awards are appreciated."
This year, IBC Bank-San Antonio handed out 11 $1,000 A.R. Sanchez, Sr. Memorial Scholarship Awards students throughout the area. Scholarship award recipients:
• Ana Casillas, South San Antonio High School
• Ceyma Kahlua Guadalupe Solar, Harlandale High School
• Elli May Manacop Sadsad, Earl Warren High School
• Maurice Compton, Robert E Lee High School
• Orlando E. Salazar, John Jay High School
• Perla L. Ramirez Ortiz, Marble Falls High School
• Priscilla Nicole Cruz , Luling High School
• Roxanne Sanchez, Roosevelt High School
• Arely Perez, Lanier High School
• Mireya Moralda, Lanier High School
• Julian Treviño, Lanier High School
IBC Bank-San Antonio is a member of International Bancshares Corporation (NASDAQ: IBOC), an $12 billion multi-bank financial holding company headquartered in Laredo, Texas, with 194 facilities and more than 307 ATMs serving 87 communities in Texas and Oklahoma. In 2016, IBC celebrated its 50th anniversary since it opened its doors for business in 1966. IBC Bank's slogan "We Do More" reflects the bank's dedication to the growth and success of both the customers and the communities it serves. International Bancshares was ranked 46th on Forbes' prestigious list of 100 Best Banks in America in 2017. IBC Bank-San Antonio has been serving the Alamo City community since 1986 and has a retail branch network of 21 locations throughout the area. Visit us on our YouTube channel, IBCBankWeDoMore. MEMBER FDIC / INTERNATIONAL BANCSHARES CORPORATION. More information is available at ibc.com.