IBC Bank Offers Tips to Avoid Scams Online During COVID-19
(March 31, 2020) LAREDO, Texas - IBC Bank's priority is keeping their community and customers financially safe. Amid the concerns surrounding COVID-19, the community is finding itself shifting to increased online shopping and remote work. During this shift, scammers have been hard at work taking advantage of the change. Emails are circulating that promise new information, the availability of a vaccine or even charitable organizations looking for a donation. IBC Bank wants to remind consumers that it is important to be aware and diligent.
"As a community bank, the financial safety of our customers is a top priority, and we find it essential to take extra precautions during this time," said IBC Bank Chairman and CEO Dennis E. Nixon. "We will continue to serve our customers for all of their banking needs during this time. Our ATMs, drive-thrus and mobile app are all excellent options to ensure your financial and personal health during the COVID-19 concerns."
See a list of tips to avoid scams below.
- Examine before you click. As consumers, we want to get our information as quickly as possible. However, it is important to assess the email or link you have received to determine if it looks legitimate and properly formatted. If something seems odd, it is safer not to open it.
- Check the URL. If you are presented with a link, examine it before you click. If it is misspelled, it is a sign that the source could be fake.
- Research the retailer. If you receive an email offering great deals on sanitary items, medical supplies and related items, open a new tab and search for that retailer to determine if the deals are valid.
- Don't assume safety. Please do not assume a website is safe just because it is formatted as "https." It can be beneficial to install an antivirus program on your device that will alert you of any fraudulent websites.
- Guard your financial information. If an email or website is asking for your account numbers, credit card numbers, wire transfers or related personal information, use the safety tips above to ensure you can trust your source
Consumers who believe they may have been scammed or need to verify a purchase on their debit or credit card should contact their bank immediately.
About IBC Bank
IBC Bank and Commerce Bank are divisions of International Bancshares Corporation (NASDAQ: IBOC), a $12.1 billion multi-bank financial holding company headquartered in Laredo, Texas, with 188 facilities and 284 ATMs serving 88 communities in Texas and Oklahoma. IBC Bank's slogan "We Do More" reflects the bank's dedication to the growth and success of the customers and the communities it has been serving since 1966. MEMBER FDIC / INTERNATIONAL BANCSHARES CORPORATION. Follow our Facebook and Instagram page, @IBCBankWeDoMore. More information is available at ibc.com.