BROWNSVILLE, Texas (June 18, 2018)
- IBC Bank-Brownsville continues their support of higher education by awarding area students with the A.R. Sanchez, Sr. Memorial Scholarship and the Fred W. Rusteberg Scholarship as they venture into college and start a new chapter of their lives. Scholarships are granted to students who demonstrated a "Do More" attitude and leadership in student and community affairs throughout their years in high school.
An event was held at IBC Bank-Brownsville where $12,000 in scholarships were handed out to deserving students from 11 high schools.
"The students who were selected to receive the scholarship award are examples of IBC Bank's ‘We Do More' philosophy," said IBC Bank Vice President of corporate marketing Margarita Flores. "We are extremely honored to assist in the pursuit of their higher education goals.
"Born into a humble family, Antonio R. Sanchez, Sr., the namesake of the scholarship award, was a strong supporter of making higher education available to those interested in bettering their lives. Sanchez's commitment to the power of learning lives on in the A.R. Sanchez, Sr. Memorial Scholarship Award, which is bestowed annually on deserving high school seniors in Texas and Oklahoma.
The Fred W. Rusteberg Scholarship is in honor of banking veteran, community leader and founding president and CEO of IBC Bank-Brownsville, Fred Rusteberg. Rusteberg is a tireless proponent for developing Brownsville and its people.
"It gives me great joy to see the expression on the faces of the students and their parents as we hand them a check for $1,000, which they will use to defray the costs of going to college," said Al Villarreal, president and CEO of IBC Bank-Brownsville. "We love giving back to our community and know the awards are appreciated."
Scholarship award recipients include:
A.R Sanchez, Sr. Memorial Scholarship:
▪ Alejandra Sujo, Brownsville Early College High School
▪ Lizeth Amaro, Homer Hanna Early College High School
▪ Daniel Mata, Lopez Early College High School
▪ Mariana Cardenas, James Pace Early College High School
▪ Juan Francisco Rodriguez, Porter Early College High School
▪ Steffie R. Perez, Simon Rivera Early College High School
Fred W. Rusteberg Scholarship:
▪ Monique Gonzales, Harlingen High School
▪ Aaron Briones, Harlingen South High School
▪ Michael James Lopez, Saint Joseph Academy
▪ Haileigh Nall, Port Isabel High School
▪ Harry Brian Silva, Los Fresnos High School
▪ Leiha Barnes, Veterans Memorial Early College High School
IBC Bank-Brownsville is a member of International Bancshares Corporation (NASDAQ: IBOC), a $12.1 billion multi-bank financial holding company headquartered in Laredo, Texas, with 188 facilities and more than 291 ATMs serving 90 communities in Texas and Oklahoma. In 2016, IBC celebrated its 50th anniversary since it opened its doors for business in 1966. IBC Bank's slogan "We Do More" reflects the bank's dedication to the growth and success of both the customers and the communities it serves. International Bancshares was ranked 19th on Forbes' prestigious list of 100 Best Banks in America in 2018. IBC Bank-Brownsville has been serving the area since 1984 and has a retail branch network of 12 locations. MEMBER FDIC / INTERNATIONAL BANCSHARES CORPORATION. Visit us on our YouTube channel, IBCBankWeDoMore. More information is available at ibc.com.