McALLEN, Texas (June 18, 2018)
- IBC Bank-McAllen continues their support of higher education by awarding area students with the A.R. Sanchez, Sr. Memorial Scholarship as they venture into college and start a new chapter of their lives. Scholarships are granted to students who demonstrated a "Do More" attitude and leadership in student and community affairs throughout their years in high school.
An event was held at IBC Bank-McAllen where $24,000 in scholarships were handed out to deserving students from 24 high schools.
"The students who were selected to receive the scholarship award are examples of IBC Bank's ‘We Do More' philosophy," said IBC Bank Senior Vice President of marketing Dora Brown. "We are extremely honored to assist in the pursuit of their higher education goals."
Born into a humble family, Antonio R. Sanchez, Sr., the namesake of the scholarship award, was a strong supporter of making higher education available to those interested in bettering their lives. Sanchez's commitment to the power of learning lives on in the A.R. Sanchez, Sr. Memorial Scholarship Award, which is bestowed annually on deserving high school seniors in South Texas and Oklahoma.
"It gives me great joy to see the expression on the faces of the students and their parents as we hand them a check for $1,000, which they will use to defray the costs of going to college," said Adrian Villarreal, president and CEO of IBC Bank-McAllen. "We love giving back to our community and know the awards are appreciated."
Scholarship award recipients include:
▪ Abigail Garcia, Achieve Early College High Schoo
▪ Veronica Alanis, Edinburg High School
▪ Hannah Martinez, Edinburg High School
▪ Leslie Cervantes, Hidalgo High School
▪ Igdalia Gonzalez, Johnny G. Economedes High School
▪ Michelle Gutierrez, Juarez Lincoln High School
▪ Jaira Loyde, La Joya High School
▪ Valerie Vasquez, Lamar Academy
▪ Kassidy Neumann, McAllen High School
▪ Angeles Ivonne Silva, McAllen Memorial High School
▪ Jacqueline Cortez, Mission High School
▪ Chelsea Sifuentes, Mission Veterans High School
▪ Cecilia Ruiz, Nikki Rowe High School
▪ Andy Lee Flores, Palmview High School
▪ Jacob Loredo, PSJA High School
▪ Danielle Pizano, PSJA Memorial High School
▪ Nancy Ibarra, PSJA North High School
▪ Jose Maria Vazquez, PSJA SW Early College High School
▪ Vaannya Ortega, Robert Vela High School
▪ Diego Cortes, Sharyland High School
▪ Yamilee Ramirez, Sharyland Pioneer High School
▪ Alejandro Carranza, Valley View High School
▪ Juana Bernarda Zapata, Weslaco East High School
▪ Kristin Mercado, Weslaco High School
IBC Bank-McAllen is a member of International Bancshares Corporation (NASDAQ: IBOC), a $12.1 billion multi-bank financial holding company headquartered in Laredo, Texas, with 188 facilities and more than 291 ATMs serving 90 communities in Texas and Oklahoma. IBC Bank's slogan "We Do More" reflects the bank's dedication to the growth and success of both the customers and the communities it serves. International Bancshares was ranked 19th on Forbes' prestigious list of 100 Best Banks in America in 2018. IBC Bank-McAllen has been serving the Hidalgo County community since 1990 and has a retail branch network of 29 locations throughout the area. IBC Bank-McAllen was named "The Best Bank in the Valley" in 2016 and 2015 by McAllen Monitor readers. MEMBER FDIC / INTERNATIONAL BANCSHARES CORPORATION. Visit us on our YouTube channel, IBCBankWeDoMore. More information is available at ibc.com.