ZAPATA, Texas (June 18, 2018)
- IBC Bank-Zapata continues their support of higher education by awarding area students with the A.R. Sanchez, Sr. Memorial Scholarship as they venture into college and start a new chapter of their lives. Scholarships are granted to students who demonstrated a "Do More" attitude and leadership in student and community affairs throughout their years in high school.
An event was held at IBC Bank-Zapata where $13,000 in scholarships were handed out to deserving students from 11 high schools.
"The students who were selected to receive the scholarship award are examples of IBC Bank's ‘We Do More' philosophy," said IBC Bank Vice President of corporate marketing Margarita Flores. "We are extremely honored to assist in the pursuit of their higher education goals."
Born into a humble family, Antonio R. Sanchez, Sr., the namesake of the scholarship award, was a strong supporter of making higher education available to those interested in bettering their lives. Sanchez's commitment to the power of learning lives on in the A.R. Sanchez, Sr. Memorial Scholarship Award, which is bestowed annually on deserving high school seniors in South Texas and Oklahoma.
"It gives me great joy to see the expression on the faces of the students and their parents as we hand them a check for $1,000, which they will use to defray the costs of going to college," said Ricardo Ramirez, president and CEO of IBC Bank-Zapata. "We love giving back to our community and know the awards are appreciated."
Scholarship award recipients include:
▪ Jermayne Miller, AC Jones High School
▪ Sydney Munoz, Alice High School
▪ Allyson Rangel, Freer High School
▪ Cristy Lopez, Hebbronville High School
▪ Samantha Arredondo, Kingsville High School
▪ Paola M Ibarra, La Grulla High School
▪ Jennifer Rios, Rio Grande High School
▪ Perla Grimaldo, Roma High School
▪ Andrew Rodriguez, San Isidro High School
▪ Milexia Garcia, Santa Getrudis Academy High School
▪ Alberto Gonzalez, Zapata High School
▪ Genesis Villarreal, Zapata High School
IBC Bank-Zapata is a member of International Bancshares Corporation (NASDAQ: IBOC), a $12.1 billion multi-bank financial holding company headquartered in Laredo, Texas, with 188 facilities and more than 291 ATMs serving 90 communities in Texas and Oklahoma. In 2016, IBC celebrated its 50th anniversary since it opened its doors for business in 1966. IBC Bank's slogan "We Do More" reflects the bank's dedication to the growth and success of both the customers and the communities it serves. International Bancshares was ranked 19th on Forbes' prestigious list of 100 Best Banks in America in 2018. IBC Bank-Zapata has been serving the Brush Country area since 1984 and has a retail branch network of 10 locations. Visit us on our YouTube channel, IBCBankWeDoMore. MEMBER FDIC / INTERNATIONAL BANCSHARES CORPORATION. More information is available at ibc.com.